Tuesday, March 26, 2013

More than a memory

I recently read one of my friends blogs and posted the story of how she met her boyfriend. Within the story she referenced many different memories that were impactful to her. It got me thinking what do memories really mean to us?
It's amazing how a small, minute detail for most people can trigger some of the strongest memories, and emotions, for others. Whether its eating animal crackers that reminds me of junior church, chewing pink extra bubble gum that reminds me of a kiss shared with that pretty blonde girl at church summer camp, extra salty popcorn that takes me back to a movie seen with a very special person, seeing a movie about a Greek god that reminds me of people's reaction everytime I take my shirt off at the beach. It's just constant. Sometimes the memories are much bigger. Every time I step in a weight room it takes me back to high school and training for competition with some of my best friends. Out of those guys I really only talk to one of them, Brian, who is one of my two best friends. It's a good memory, but does it help or hinder my progress in life?
I guess my thought process is what should we do with memories? Draw back on them when they're helpful and try to tuck the bad ones away deep down? Would life be easier without memory? If I tried to do something and fail, am I anymore likely to be successful the next time if I do or don't remember?

What are you thoughts on this? Please comment. I'm sorry this is unorganized. Literally thoughts being spewed into print, not one of the better entries but I hope it's thought provoking and I really hope it draws your thoughts and commentary as well :)

Also, down another 10 pounds. Whoop whoop

2 comments:

  1. Hey Mark, it's Jared. I also am fascinated with how memories can be triggered for some people but not others. It's actually quite amazing how seemingly insignificant events in our lives can be etched into our minds, even more so provoke emotional reactions!

    I often wish I could remember every memory ever, I think most definitely we should always remember them and never forget even the bad ones. Everything we do shapes us as individuals, and all memories - good and bad - have contributed. It is great to relish in wonderful memories but we mustn't be selective....If anything a memory of a failure should be used as motivation, not a deterrent....

    If you don't mind failure, and love learning from it, why should you let anything else matter?

    Anyways, hope you're doing well, and you are an inspirations for others trying to take control of their body and just be healthy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad I could give you some blogging encouragement to start again!! Wooooo! Heh- I was just talking to my bestie the other day about how incredible the brain/mind is. I think it is amazing how our brain can completely block out a bad memory or tramautic experience to "protect" us from it, in a sense. I always thought i had a pretty bad memory. Can you imagine having photographic memory!? Remembering all those unimportant minute details all the time? I do not know what is worse!

    ReplyDelete